Yesterday Jaden had his 6 month check up. He is doing great, and is where he should be developmentally. He is 27 1/2 inches long, which is in the 75 percentile in height, and he is 21 lbs 5 oz, which is in the 90 percentile in weight. He is a big boy! For his check ups I always get him immunized. That is something I believe is the right thing to do. My sister and I both get our children immunized. The reasons why we do, is because the diseases that they can get if they don't get their shots, are horrible! It's proven that immunizing your children, greatly reduces their chances of getting those horrible diseases. Those diseases are diseases that in the past had killed many infants and children. We still have those diseases in many 3rd world countries. Infants and children are still dying from those diseases. 3rd world countries cant get the medicine like they would like. Our church and other churches and organizations have sent meds or money for immunizations to these counties. (Ethiopia being one of them). I think the "shots" the doctors give our kids, is great! Some may have side affects. But It's a VERY slim chance of getting them, and I rather take the chance then to have my kids get any disease, that these shots prevent. Now the new thing that people are saying, is that these shots that infants get, can cause autism. Well, that is yet to be proven. So until it is proven, I still feel it is best for children to get immunized. I know that allot of people chose not to, and that is their decision, and that's ok. I have never had a friend or any one tell me that I should not get my children their shots. But my sister on the other hand, had her 2 visiting teachers tell her that they couldn't believe she would get her kids immunized! That it was crazy that she would risk Houston getting autism. That they would never inject their babies with medicine. That babies are perfect, so they don't get sick. They told her that Babies don't get diseases. So not true! Babies get sick all the time! babies get diseases and die. They said as long as you breast feed, Houston will be ok. Again not true. Yes, breast feeding helps, but it's not a cure all. Many breast fed babies have been sick, and have gotten diseases and died. So comments like that,kind of made me mad, because they are false. Back in the days before we gave our children shots, infants and children died all the time from these diseases that immunizations prevent. so in my opinion, I think babies should be immunized. I want to hear your opinion, and thoughts. leave a comment or if you cant, email me. I am curious, what others think.
August on the Way Out
3 weeks ago
19 comments:
This is Lindsey. Kaycee's sister... I agree I think babies should be immunizes. my dr. told me that she doesn't know a Dr. that doesn't immunize and she told me why would she tell everyone to immunize thier kids but not believe in it and not do her own chold. so that just tells me she knows a lot and is all for it, it can't be as bad as everyone thinks.
Wow... first comment...
Well Kaycee, I totally agree with you. There is no factual reason why anyone shouldn't immunize their children. Although there was a family in my home ward that did everything natural... to where she even delivered her babies at home! By her husband! Her kids were always healthy, but somewhat backwards socially. And like you said, there is a little risk in immunizations, but a far greater risk in not. I studied autism in college, and there is still so much not known about that disorder. There really is no cure either, just treatments. Austim is very difficult for a family to deal with, but immunizations were the cause, there would be a lot more children AND ADULTS with autism. People should first look at the negative items that our culture puts in our bodies like fast food, preservatives, illegal drugs, alcohol, diet pills, depression pills... the list goes on and on! There are so many other factors that could contribute to autism that we may never fully understand it.
I totally agree with you Linny lou. we put tons of harmful things in our body all the time. I believe that could be the cause of allot of our health problems.
I also agree with Lindsey Hemara, all the docs I know immunize their children, and if they thought it was dangerous, they wouldn't do it.
http://autism.about.com/od/causesofautism/a/dovaccines.htm
my dad sent me this website.
this website about autism, and vaccines.
my findings in this website, is that autism probably doesn't come from immunizing children.
This is Robby (Kaycee's husband). I am in agreement with Kaycee and the Lindsey's. Kaycee and I have talked about this several times and we have always said and thought how important it is to immunize. I too believe there is a far greater risk of not immunizing. On the breast feeding thing is not a guarantee against anything. I was breastfed and nearly died in the hospital from pneumonia. That is all they feed their baby's in 3rd world countries. Many children die. It is not a cure all. In short diseases are out there. Children do get sick and some do die. But I strongly that technology and medical advancement are given to us by our Heavenly Father for our knowledge and benefit.
This is one debate that I have heard quite a bit about. In my family especially, it has been discussed quite a bit. In fact, one of my sisters decided not to immunize her kids until they were ready to go to school.
I was given a lot of literature when I had my first baby that scared the living daylights out of me when it came to vaccines. Oh, they are accused of doing far more harm than just autism, believe me!!! In fact, I was so scared by it all that I didn't immunize my oldest when she was a baby. (Mostly I was paralyzed by indecision.)
In the end, I did more of my own research and concluded that yes, there are side effects and risks to vaccines, more than in general the doctors and government will tell you. (Government hearings on the subject essentially said "We know best, so we're just not going to share ALL the details with everybody.") But in the end, you are right!!! Immunizations save far more lives of babies than the small number affected by the adverse reactions, and the research that ties vaccines to drastic side effects is sketchy indeed. We are a very sheltered society. We've never had to live in fear that our babies could get measles or polio, so it's easy to say that breastfeeding will protect a baby from all that, when it's not a real risk. But why is is not a real risk? Because of widespread immunizations!!!
After a lot of pondering and prayer, I made the decision with my second child to vaccinate him by the book (I got my first daughter taken care of at the same time.) As for my fears, I put that in the hands of the Lord. I've never had reason to regret that decision.
OK my thoughts are. If your child gets autism it's because it's God's plan. It's a disorder any child can get. I say it's kinda like diabetes or something. But I don't know much about either of those. I say: Do what you can to keep your children healthy and God will do the rest.
** Side note: I'm not saying autism and diabetes are the same thing. I'm just saying autism and diabetes are illnesses any child can get if it's God's plan for that child- get it?
thanks for your comments Heidi and Amanda.
I agree that the best solution is to pray about it. and I also agree with Amanda on what she said.
this is a comment from my dad:
Hard to know without doing more reading. My natural inclination is that vaccinations have been benfical. Evidence is too strong.
Well, you probably don't want to hear from Gram Pete. I am AGAINST vaccinations. I'll admit that I did vaccinate my kids when they were young. But then one of my nephew's baby had a horrible reaction to a shot and he was near death for several months. It was a very traumatic time for everyone, and I haven't believed in them since then. My opinion is that people put too much trust in doctors. I think they are great for certain things, but I choose to handle my own health care and I do NOT put my store in medical doctors. They only have the knowledge of what physicians are taught, and don't know enough about nutrition and alternative methods of healing. There lies my belief. If all babies were given vitamins (the right ones) and were fed properly, they wouldn't need vaccinations because it would keep their immune systems at a level where they wouldn't get every illness that comes along. I know I'm the minority here but I'm fine with that. My beliefs are MY beliefs!!
Thanks for your comment grandma. It's ok not to agree. But I must add that it's a VERY slim chance that a child will die from being vaccinated, but it's more likely a child will die from polio, measles, and all sorts of other deaseses that you can get if your not. Doctors don't know everything, but they know allot, more then the average person does. I think, they do the best that they know how, and it's better then we could do on our own. They have helped many, many, many people live. (just like your nephew, who almost died) They helped both my parents when they were close to death. They helped my grandma with cancer, they have helped soooo many people that I know alternative healing could not do. I do agree, healthy eating, vitamins, lots of water and working out would help out a great deal. Doctors totally promote that. But we all know, most of us don't do those things, so we need extra help. Even if we did, it wouldn't always keep sickness away. But just so you know, I am glad you put your thoughts and opinions.
I think everyone needs to be immunized. There may be a special few that shouldn't be but that's on a case by case basis. The reason it's becoming a problem again is because people are thinking that everyone else is getting their child immunized so I don't need to. The problem with that is it's becoming more common to not be immunized so kids won't be as safe because now it can spread. It sure would suck if something happened to your kid by getting their shots (chances are very small) but wouldn't you feel way way worse if something happened to your child because you didn't get them immunized like the doctor told you to and they got really sick or died? I also agree that if something is going to happen it will happen. I nursed my babies and my daughter still died and my other two had some of the same problems. The thing that helped them was modern medicine! Some things are out of our hands but if you can do something to help-you should!
I'm with you about getting immunizations. I think they are wonderful things that can really help children not get serious illnesses.
Well I wish I didnt believe in immunizing (i just got cadens shots today) But i had the same thought as some others that commented. I want to do whatever I cant to protect my baby. I couldnt live with myself if something happened to Caden that I could have prevented. I do know there are side affects and Ryan has talked to many people in the medical field. So for us right now we feel comfortable with the decision to immunize.
this is ryan- actually it has been proven that shots don't cause autism! in all the studies they have done shots have not been a factor in kids getting autism. It basicly boils down to this, the shots work! how terrible would you feel if your kid got polio because you based your decision on false facts!
Thank you April, Jen, Kaylin and Ryan for your comments. I do agree with all of you.
All 4 of my kids have been immunized and I believe it is the best thing to keep them healthier. I can't imagine what it would be like if the diseases that we immunize against were still in full force. Children would be sick and dying everywhere. I would hate to be the person who didn't take advantage of the preventitive measures that are available and spread around such horrible diseases or that my child could get deathly ill from something that could have been prevented.
I did have a hard time deciding on whether to have my teenage daughter immunized against cervical cancer because it was a new one. I talked to my doctor(whom I trust implicitly) about it at length and after hearing his views on the subject I decided to have her immunized.
Ok, I realize I'm way late on this, but wanted to leave my comments too. I never even thought about it with Brad and did get him immunized without any problem. With Lucy I was more worried because of all the debate. I sat down and discussed it with my doctor (who I REALLY trust) and she said that the risks of not immunizing are a lot greater than those of a reaction to the immunizations. She also said this debate comes up every decade or so and then dies down again. Anyway, I did have Lucy immunized as well and felt good about it.
Post a Comment