Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The House Hunt

House hunting is turning out not to be so fun. Every one keeps telling me that this is a buyers market, that we will find a nice home for real cheap. Well that is not so. I don't know what any one is talking about.
The houses we are finding are either big houses that are ugly and need lots of TLC or small old ones that still need some tlc, or nice ones in really crummy area's on busy streets. We cant seem to find a decent size home, in a good area, with little maintenance, in our price range.
We aren't even looking for a huge house. We want one that has at least 1400 sq ft, and 3 beds. That's all. We would buy one that needs a little work, but all the ones we are seeing need lots! I'm talking new floors, ceilings, walls, cabinets, back yards. We don't have the time or money to put into that.
We can find great Town houses. But we live in a Town house. We want a house with a yard, That is the main reason for moving.
Yesterday we looked at 4 houses. one was in our ward. I was excited because I would love to stay in the ward. When you look at pictures of the house it looked really nice. But then in person, it wasn't so nice. It needed work. The floor plan was crazy! Not so good with little kids. The back yard was half cement and stone, and the other half was a huge garden. It would of taken money and lots of time to fix that up with grass for the kids and dog. Plus, That house was at the tip top of our price range too.
The second house we saw looked great in pictures too, but it to was crummy and a strange lay out and the neighborhood was slummy.
The 3rd house was the best. It was nice! It was in foxboro. It was turn key. you wouldn't have to do a single thing to it. But it was so small and the yard was tiny! we couldn't fit a table in the kitchen. It's almost at the top of our price range, so for how small it is, we don't know if we would go for it.
Our 4th house was in NSL. Not the best of area's as far as the location had some run down houses, kinda trashy. Again the house looked good in pictures, but not so in person.
What is most important to me, is finding a good looking, nice, clean neighborhood because you can change the way your house looks, but you can't change the way your neighbors houses look.
Robby works a mile up the street. It's been real nice living so close to where he works. We only have one car, so we need to live some what close to both his jobs. So we are looking in the Rose park area, Bountiful, WoodsCross and NSL area. This area is more affordable but honestly it's hard to find a nice neighborhood, and up north is expensive!
So I am really frustrated. I hope we can find one!

6 comments:

The Viewer said...

I think it's cause of the area you are looking in. The houses are normally expensive if they are nice in those areas. You'd have to look more north to get a nice, big house for cheap.

Anonymous said...

Don't get discouraged. I know you'll find just the one for you. Have you tried Woods Cross. My ward in Woods Cross is the best I've ever been in. It's gonna be hard for me to leave here.

Heidi said...

Sounds challenging. The neighborhood thing is particularly challenging-- when we bought our house we picked the neighborhood that seemed to be the nicest, a little bit more upscale. But now with the housing market in the tank and a gazillion foreclosures, our neighborhood looks awful. Plus our HOA is talking about pouring concrete in the pool because so many people aren't paying their dues. What a bummer after paying more to be in the nicer neighborhood! Anyway, good luck in the search, I hope you find something just perfect for your family!

linnylou said...

have you looked at foreclosures?

Shannon said...

I know what you mean about having a hard time finding the perfect place! I hate our house- the layout really stinks...but I guess we could have done worse. Good Luck! Also- Kenna LOVED playing with Abbey today. Thanks so much for letting her come over!

bakers dozen said...

I like the house you guys bid on. I know you don't want to get too excited until it is a done deal, but it looks great.