Tuesday, July 22, 2014

reflux babies and the snowball effect

I think many have wondered why my kids have slept with us at night. Or Why Eliza still sleeps with us.

It was never our attention, starting out as parents to Co-sleep. But when push comes to shove, and your desperate, it happens.

As I write this, I wonder if there are any parents that can relate to the sleepless, crazy nights you get with having a Reflux baby?

Some have mild reflux and some have Sevier.  We got lucky and all 4 of our kids were born with reflux problems. Sevier reflux.

why you ask? I don't know. It does run in my family. I get reflux, my dad, and his dad did. It didn't matter if they were formula fed or breast fed.

I will take you back to Abbey.
This is what it's like:

you lie the baby down and probably 5 minutes or less later, you hear acid coming up in the esophagus, and then they wake up panicky because they can't breath. Then when they stop choking on the acid, their eyes water, they are coughing and crying.  you hurry to pick them up and pat them on the back, and it gets it all better. you lay them back down, and a few minutes later, it starts all over.  
you can't let your baby sleep alone in a room because you don't want them choking, and not being able to make sure they are ok.
Every one gives you idea's on how to keep them sleeping on a slant.
we raised the crib mattress with towels or a crib mattress wedge. 
Some how they would slide or wiggle to the bottom of the mattress. That didn't work. So mattress propping was a no go.
We had Abbey sleep in a swing or car seat. That made me very nervous. At a new born age, they don't have strong back muscles and they would kinda slunch, hunch, or their head would fall forward. I didn't want them to suffocate and I didn't like how Abbey's spine was hunched. I often wondered if that what caused her Kyphosis and scoliosis in her back? I am not sure, but I wasn't going to do that with any of the other babies. so car seat and swing was a no go.
So then we decided to recline in the recliner and have them sleep on our chest. That worked the best. But after awhile your sleep becomes non existent.
So we rigged up something in our bed. we had a firm boppy and we would fold up baby blankets and put them on and under  the boppy.  that way they were slanted, but not on a puffy smothering pillow, and they didn't slide. Yet they were next to us, so we could keep an eye on them when they choked.
Abbey, Jaden and Brigham's reflux got much better at about 9-10 months of age, and we transitioned them into their own bed, in their room.
It was harder then most babies, because they were so use to being with us, for all those months.
Now Eliza on the other hand, she still has bad reflux problems and will wake up about half the nights choking.
until about 6 months ago, she wasn't able to sit herself up, because of low muscle tone, so we had to be with her, so that we could sit her up and give her relief.
Not only is she use to being with us for the past 2 years, she has extreme anxiety! more then most children when she isn't with us. especially at night when it's time for bed.
So, with her anxiety, reflux, and her sleeping with us for the past 2 years, it's really hard to get her out of our bed.

SO! that has been the snowball effect and why  co-sleeping has been, what we have, had to do.

I am praying that Benson will not have Reflux and things will be different. But odds aren't great.

It would be so nice to have my bed and sleep once again!

2 comments:

Ann said...

As I start to write this I notice that the title of your July 17th post was "I don't know how to be a mom." From what I know, I think you know how to be the best mom your kids could have. Everyone is different. It sounds to me like you are researching and experimenting trying to find solutions that work for your family. They may not be solutions someone else would come with but they are solutions. As the mother of a severely disabled son (Brent suffered brain trauma following Reye's Syndrome 2 weeks before his 8th birthday) you make the best decisions that you can make. You research and brainstorm and counsel with medical personnel trying to learn all you can about what's going on. Then you turn to fasting and prayer and priesthood blessings to help you make decisions where it seems like everyone loses. But they are the best decisions you can make. One thing I learned during the 14 years Brent was allowed to remain with us after he suffered brain trauma, is that as the parent you are entitled to personal revelation for your child. While others may also have impressions, you are the person who is entitled to receive them. Don't let comments discourage you. Consider what is said. Then consider the source. And then carry on as you are impressed to do. Others may never know what you're going through. But don't spend a lot of time doubting decisions that you have already put your whole heart and soul into making. Decisions are between you and your spouse and your God.

Heidi said...

Sounds sooo hard, Kaycee! We are all trying to do our best. I didn't really have as many sleeping problems with our babies, but now that they are older it is a daily (nightly?) nightmare. Right now I lay down on my girls' bedroom floor hoping to keep enough calm and quiet enforced that maybe they'll drop off. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In the meantime, I have a couple of kids with permanent huge bags under their eyes.

I hope that Benson breaks the mold!!