I want to be a Labor and delivery nurse. I had taken a couple classes towards my nursing degree. But because Robby works 2 jobs, lack of funds, and taking care of 3 little kids and 1 on the way, I decided to put school on hold for now.
I am really interested in pregnancy, and labor in delivery. It fascinates me. I am always trying to learn more about it and always reading up on things.
I have been able to attended 5 births and have loved being apart of those!
After I had Jaden, I became really interested in learning more about the whole birth processes and I learned more about Natural birth. I felt Natural was the way to go. I heard about Doula's and knew a Doula was want I wanted for my 3rd birth. After learning more about Doula's and seeing first hand how a Doula helped me and how awesome it was to have one. I knew being a Doula was something I really wanted to do. I think a Doula sounds more appealing then a Nurse. I get to do the fun part. So I have signed up for classes to get certified as a Doula. I take a short course in Doula training and then to become certified I will take a child birthing class, a breastfeeding classes, and then attend 3 births (as a Doula) and be there with the mom's the entire labor. during those births, the attending nurses and physician evaluates me, and then fills out a report on how I did. Then I write a paper on the births I attended.
For those who don't know what a Doula is or does, here is a description:
The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
A Birth Doula
Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
Stays with the woman throughout the labor
Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decision
Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman's memory of the birth experience
Allows the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level
I am so excited to do this!
A Little Lost
4 days ago
3 comments:
I think that is wonderful! I have a.good friend who is a doula and she loves it. I know you will be awesome at it. Good luck!
I'm glad your doing it! You'll do good!
You have the natural instincts and personality to be a perfect Doula. Great for you!
Post a Comment