I always print off what I write on my blog and put it in my journal. So I wanted to write about my labor with Brigham.
Brigham is a week today! This week has flown by!
The day before I went in to get induced was a day of cleaning, laundry, finding baby sitters, and getting last minute things done. I was so nervous and so excited!
September 1st I went to Salt Lake Regional hospital at 7am to be induced. My doctor moved my due date up according to ultra sound measurements. So I guess I was a week early.
I was so nervous that morning, mostly because I wasn't going to get an epidural, and I didn't know what to expect or if I would get through it ok. I knew I wasn't going to get one, I had my mind set, but I was hoping I could get through it ok. Once they started my potocin at about 8:15ish I started to get nervous and I was like "oh no! here we go!" Contractions started coming regular at about 9am. My Doula Michelle came about 9. She told me to start practicing my breathing, and meditation, with the small contractions, so that when they became stronger I would be ready and knew what to do.
So with every contraction I would close my eyes, concentrate on my slow breathing, and do my meditation. I would go to a different place and imagine and tell my self that my cervix was opening and the baby was moving down.
It really worked. It helped get through the contractions.
My doula, Robby and my mom were there for any thing I needed or wanted them to do for me. I really liked massages, acupressure, and the oils my doula used. My doula would tell my mom or Robby to try certain techniques to help.
Doula's are so great to have! I am so glad I got one. I know it made a world a difference. Michelle was great. She was there for my every need. She never left my side. Robby was just like Michelle, he did all he could to help me, comfort me, cheer me on, hold me, what ever I needed. My mom also was there to help me, with what ever.
For me, it helped to be out of bed standing and swaying or sitting on the birthing ball. I rarely laid in bed. I know standing and the birthing ball helped bring the baby down too.
Sometimes my contractions would die out or stop for some reason. My doula knew how to get them back by doing acupressure. I think the acupressure worked better then the potocin at keeping the contractions regular and strong.
The first 4 hours before they broke my water was not bad. They were uncomfortable, and they had pain, but really I was surprised how it wasn't hard to get through at all. I think it was because of the techniques Michelle gave me, and the help I had. But I kept thinking, if this is as bad as it gets, this is no problem. I knew it would get worse though.
After 4 hours, they checked my cervix and it only dilated to a 5. I went to the hospital at a 4. So it was going kinda slow. My doctor wanted to break my water. Now that was VERY VERY painful! My cervix was turned. (I don't know how) But my doctor and to pull on it, to get to it and break my water.
After she broke my water it seemed like just about 10 minutes later and the contractions were much more intense. There wasn't much any one could do to help the pain. What helped me most was to hold Robby or have him hold me and we did a slow dance. It seemed with every contraction just got more and more intense and harder to get through. But I think I did good on focusing on my breathing and meditation as much as possible considering the pain I was in. I know I did get louder, and less able to stay focused. I felt lots of pressure. They checked me and in a hour I dilated to a 7. I knew once I got to a 7 I would be a ten in like 15 min, because that is how I was with Jaden. Once I hit a 7, it changed. It was VERY intense and VERY painful. more then I even imagined. At that point Nothing, or no one could help me and I didn't want to be helped or touched.
I told the nurse I felt lots of pressure and the baby might becoming soon. I got on the bed to be checked. I yelled "here comes the baby" The next thing I knew I felt an urge to push. The head was there. The nurse ran out and grabbed a doctor. Not my doctor, she wasn't there. The baby came too fast. There was no holding it back. I gave 2 half pushes and Brigham came out! he was out before any one in the room could even see him.
I remember the feeling after he came out was relief, and "wow!! I did it!" Plus I just fell in love with Brigham the minute I saw him.
I had recorded it, which I am glad I did. It's hard to remember every thing that went on because of I was in my own world towards the end.
my mom, My 2 sisters, my sister in law Grisel, my grandma, my niece and nephew were all in the room with me.
I really liked going natural. If I can do it, any one can. It was awesome to feel like I was doing the work to get Brigham here, and feeling much more apart of it, then just laying in a bed numb waiting for the time to push. I can't explain it, but I will do it again for our next and last birth.
It was 6 1/2 hour labor. half hour less then Jaden's and 10 hours less then Abbey's.
A Little Lost
4 days ago
10 comments:
Whoa, KC, I just relived the entire thing again. It was really SO awesome. YOU were awesome. I am SO proud of you. It is great to have this record for all time. You've done a great job.
Love you,
Gram
Great job, Kaycee!! I'm so glad it went so well. That's great that you could get up with the pitocin. They only let me get up to go to the bathroom (and hanging out in bed trying to get through those contractions was way too hard).
If, for some strange reason (no plans, fingers crossed), I have another one, I'll have to have a doula. Michelle sounds wonderful!!!
See I told u. It's just so wonderful and worth the pain and energy.;) I am proud of u and now we have something to share together :).
What an awesome birth experience! Now that you've done it once you can totally do it again. You are amazing!
That is an awesome story! It makes me want to try it! Too bad I can't even consider it, but next time I really want to be out of bed and on a ball. I am going to try to be in better shape for the next one.
I wish I could help your little guy! He's adorable!
YOU ARE SO AWESOME! I'm so proud of you!
*****so you are going to have another one?!?!?!?!?!?!*****
So I started crying when you mention you and Robby slow dancing. What a neat story! I am such a softy!
Congratulations!!! I knew you could do it. Brigham is sooo cute. I really miss having babies in our house. To bad I don't live closer. Someday my kids will decide to have kids. I am way excited for that because I get to have a baby without all the hard work.
You are a rockstar! you did an amazing job, it was so neat to have your family there and you really did make it look so easy. I'm so proud of you. You're going in my books as one of my favorites :)
Congratulations again sweetie, you have a beautiful family and I look forward to seeing it grow!
You are amazing!! That is awesome that you did it natural and had such a great experience. Thanks for sharing. And I love all the pics in the hospital. You look amazing and beautiful...too beautiful to have just barely had a baby! :)
Post a Comment