Eliza's Birth Story. bare with me, it's long.
I will back up a bit and start my story at 38 weeks pregnant. My plan was for a Spontaneous labor and a unmedicated birth.
Because my other labors were induced, I didn't know what to expect as far as Eliza coming before due date or after. So at 38 weeks I was thinking any day now I could go into labor and I need to be prepared.
That's when my "nesting" became full force, my to do list was under way, getting accomplished, bags were getting packed, etc.....
at 38 weeks, I fell and really sprained my ankle. I couldn't walk on it. I was praying that I didn't go into labor until I healed. My ankle healed fast. Then Jaden got sick. I told my self, I can't go into labor until he was well. I needed to help him. Then Abbey got sick, and again, I wanted to get her better before I had the baby. Then I got sick with the stomach flu for 5 days and I knew I needed to feel better before I went into labor. Then I had Jaden's birthday party and a baby shower I was hosting for my sister in law. So I hoped I could get through that before labor. Then Brigham got sick. Finally after 2 weeks, everyone was healthy, I could walk, and my party obligations were out of the way. My house was spotless, my list had dwindled and I felt ready to ROLL!
I had a dead line. If I didn't go into labor on my own, then July 5th, I would need to go have my membranes stripped. If that didn't start labor, then on July 6th I would need to be induced. I was worried, my plan of a spontaneous birth wasn't going to happen. July 3rd we took the kids to see fireworks. July 4th we had a family BBQ . I was really hoping I could go. I also was hoping to get through the 4th holiday so that my family and Doula's could enjoy the festivities.
the morning of July 4th, my Doula Michelle came to my house and spent 1 1/2 hours doing acupressure on my feet, legs and hands (that can stimulate contractions)
After she left I was feeling crampy (like period cramps) I went to my BBQ still having mild cramps and back aches. Came home and just relaxed and got a few things done around the house. at 8:30 we were getting the kids ready for bed, and I thought, "Hey, we should go for a walk". I know it's bed time, but a walk could do me good. So we walked about a mile around the neighborhood, we were gone about an hour. we came in, put the kids to bed and I sat down to watch TV. at 10pm I felt my first contraction. (now Ive been having Braxton Hicks for months. painful ones that came often, so I wasn't sure if I would know the difference when a real contraction would hit) But the contracion that came at 10:00, seemed different. I didn't tell Robby. I had a few more before I decided that these were different. I told Robby, and texted my family, and Doulas to give them a heads up, that this could be the real deal. I told them to go to bed, and I would call them, when I knew it was in full swing.
My contractions were irregular and spaced out at first. When they became closer together and more regular, at about 11-11:30pm we started timing them. they were coming about every 5-8 min apart. Not too painful. I walked around, sat on the birthing ball, and got in the tub. Just to make sure they weren't fading away, and that this was the real deal. at 1:00 am I told Robby, lets get some sleep, while we can. He was out fast, I couldn't sleep. I was getting anxious, nervous and excited. At about 1:30am I fell asleep. It was a restless sleep and at 2:30 am I was awoken by a strong contraction. I couldn't sleep after that. I was also nauseated and a little sick to my stomach. (sign of labor) I debated if I should call my family and Doulas. after a couple more contractions at 3-5 min apart, decided to make the phone calls.
My cousin Ashlie(one of my Doulas) came to my house at about 3:00am. Then like 10 min later or so my other Doula Michelle arrived.
I liked sitting on the birth ball, while they did the double hip squeeze, and massages, other comforting techniques. I also liked standing and holding on to Robby, while the Doulas helped me stay comforted through different techniques. If my contractions started to die down, or space out, my doula's would do acupressure and the contractions would pick right up and intensify. Robby was packing up things at this point. My Mom, sister Lindsey and brother Dallin (the babysitter) got to my house at about 4:00 am. At about 4:45 am I decided the contractions were getting stronger and about 2-4 min apart and I should think about going to the hospital. We woke up Abbey, and my niece Hannah, and headed to the hospital at about 5:15.
My doulas road with me in my van, while Robby drove. They sat in the back with me, and helped me get through the contractions.
When I got to the hospital, I was dilated to 6 cm..
The hospital is really good about letting mom's do there thing, to birth how we want and they were supportive of my wishes. I wasn't monitored constantly, so I was able to move freely as I wished. I walked around the halls, used the birth ball, held Robby and did some swaying, all the while my doula's and Robby helped me with comfort measures, helped me focus and breath. They also continued acupressure to keep me in a good rhythm with my contractions so that I could avoid having pitocin.
I got in the bath tub and Ashlie (my cousin/doula) used the shower spray nozzle on my belly for comfort. the bath was so relaxing, that I didn't have too many contractions while in there, so I decided to get out and get the contractions to pick back up. with walking and pressure points, the contractions were back on and getting stronger. I got checked and I was still at a 6 after 3 hours, so my doctor said I should break my water. Although my plan was to not break my water until I was 8 cm, I decided it was best.
Let me back a bit and tell you how I was feeling. when I had Brigham, it was my first time going natural, so I didn't know what to expect, and I took each contraction as they came, and I got through them pretty well, I just went with the flow. This time around I knew what to expect, and that made me more nervous and unsure if I could do it. These contractions this time around seemed harder to get through, seemed more painful. I am not sure if they were or if it was just me not being able to relax because I knew what was coming. I kept focusing on the "what's to come" (transition) then on the "now" so it was hard to get me calm and to my happy place.
I knew once the doctor broke my water, the contractions would really intensify and labor would go real fast. But I was not prepared for how fast and intense it would be.
The doctor broke my water at 8:45ish. I didn't have a contraction for about 5 min, and then all of a sudden, like a rocket the most intense full force contractions hit!! I mean just out of the blue. Nothing leading up. Just smack like a brick wall I was in transition and in transition fast! my body/mind didn't not know how to catch up with the pain and cope. I pretty much lost all control. My doula's and Robby were great trying to bring me back to my happy place and keep me calm, but it wasn't happening too well. my doulas told me to get out of bed and change position, but I couldn't, the baby was coming. I stood up and knew, I needed to get back in bed, or the baby would fall out. I was screaming "get the nurse, the baby is coming". my Doula was pushing the button for the nurse, but no one came. poor Robby, I was smacking his back, and pulling his ears and just basically using him as an outlet for my pain and fear. (I pretty much was losing it at this time, there was no way to calm me down) The baby was coming and I could not hold her back. I could feel her head just right there and I tried not to push, and I was trying to do the certain type of breathing that helped to keep you from wanting to push. But my natural instincts took over and I pushed and the head came out. Robby screamed "get the nurse the head is out" still no nurse. I pushed again and Eliza came out on the bed. My Doula Michelle under her breath said "oh sh**" she didn't know what to do, but she got Eliza and and a towel and started to rub her. Finally a nurse came in, and then the doctor, they suctioned Eliza and handed her to me so we could do skin to skin.
from the time the doctor broke my water at 6 cm, and baby was born, was less then 20 min.
My doctor was mad at me and kept asking me "why didn't you call for a nurse" we all tried to explain to her how fast it went, and how we tried, but no one came. Then she was mad at me for pushing and not waiting for her.
she went on and on lecturing me on how I shouldn't have pushed and how I should have did this certain kind of breathing so I wouldn't push.
She would not let up, she was rude, and made me feel like crap and that I did things wrong. Even though I know there isn't one thing I could have done different. There was no stopping Eliza from coming.
come to find out, the button on the bed, didn't even work. so the nurses didn't know we were calling for them. But I was pretty loud, and there was a lot of commotion in my room, and I was right next to the nurses station, I don't know how they didn't know, but no one ever came to check on me. that kinda made me upset. Robby cut the cord with all our children, but this time, the doctor did it before he could. didn't even ask him. she really upset me, and put a damper on the whole experience.
Although the last 20 min were hard, intense, and crazy! everything was good. I was well, Eliza was perfect, I had the best support team, who helped me more then I could have imagined! I would not have gotten through it, if it weren't for both my Doula's who both helped me tremendously, my husband who I needed for my rock, (or punching bag) who stayed with me every step of the way! my mom, and sister who came in the middle of the night to support and be with me through this exciting life changing experience. Abbey was there to experience her sister being born. I had an amazing body, that knew how to carry and deliver a baby with no medication or doctor telling me how to do it. I have a healthy beautiful baby girl.
My hospital stay was great! Eliza is nursing perfectly, every one is healthy, My 2 sisters are the best sisters ever and helped me with my kids while in the hospital, so that Robby could be with me and Eliza the entire time. It's been nice for Robby and I to have some alone time to bond with Eliza and to be together with out the distractions of the other kids. Thanks Lindsey and Tawni.
I will post pictures later.
A Little Lost
4 days ago
6 comments:
Wow, what a birth story! Good job! I can't believe your doctor would talk to you like that. Once your body is pushing it is the hardest thing in the world to stop. If I were you, I would not pay the doctor for the delivery! If you get a bill, call your insurance and tell them the doctor was not in the room for the delivery so you shouldn't have to pay her!
I agree with Missy about the doctor. She should be ashamed. Has SHE ever had kids?
KC, your story is SO good. You should write a book, it would be a best seller. I've been thru every emotion reading your story. I'm so happy for you two and now I can't wait to meet Miss Eliza!!!
Kaycee, you did so amazing! I wouldn't have been able to do what you did, for sure! I was thinking that the entire time. Dr Macy was a joke... If it were me I would go to someone else for my six week check up and definitely make sure your insurance knows she didn't deliver Eliza. After all the rude things she said to all of us and the way she chewed us out, when it was her own fault that she missed it... Very un-professional. You shouldn't be charged and she shouldn't get paid for something she didn't do. You did all the work, your body knew what it was doing and you did an amazing job. Your birth was one of the neatest experiences I have ever been involved with. Thanks for letting me be there.vand congrats on cute little miss Eliza. She is darling.
I love this! And I hate your doctor! She's very selfish, obviously. But I'm so happy for you and baby Eliza! What a great story.
Congratulations, Kaycee!! I'm so glad you survived such a quick delivery! Your doctor sounds AWFUL! Make sure everyone knows-- word of mouth makes a huge difference!
This is so great. Thanks for sharing. I love all the details cause I have no idea what all that is like. Your doctor sounds like a punk wad. How dare she make you feel that way! I'm very happy you and Eliza are well. That is great that Robby got to be with you the whole time in the hospital. I'm excited to meet that lil baby of yours!
Post a Comment