Monday, May 20, 2013

Fearless........ I am not!

A lot of things scare me. You could call me Paranoid. I've always been this way, but unfortunately I've gotten worse with age.
I HATE wind and thunderstorms. While others love a good loud storm, and some might watch it from their front porch. You will find me with all my kids indoors with the National Weather station on, waiting for the latest warnings. If you could look into my brain, you will see it trying to figure out where I would run to in case of a Tornado. I don't have a basement, and that freaks me out.
I know, I know, I know. I live in Utah! Tornado's in Utah are like a clean house at the Wyatt's. It doesn't happen hardly ever, and when they do, they are small. But non the less, about once a month I have nightmares about Tornado's.
It seems that in the past few yrs, Tornado's have been on the rise. As predicted in the last days. Not only more of them, but worse ones. They will happen in places that don't usually get them.
In 5 1/2 weeks we will be taking a road trip across most of the U.S. to Michigan. I won't lie, I am scared thinking I will be driving in the middle of nowhere and BOOM Tornado strikes! What will we do? Where will we go? How will we survive? I'm freaking out inside. Do most people think like this? No, probably not. But I do.
I've been in 2 incidents where we had to take cover in a Tornado. Once in Michigan, it didn't end up being anything big, minimal damage a couple streets away. But it scared the crud out of me. Luckily we were at a house with a basement, so I wasn't too worried
Another time, Robby and I were on a road trip and traveling through Kansas. (Tornado Alley) we were in the Middle of nowhere and it was night. A storm was brewing and the weather guys were warning people to take shelter for possible Tornado. It was in the area we were at and  headed into. I was scared out of my mind!!! What would we do in that situation? plus at night, how do you see a Tornado? we didn't do anything but drive, because we didn't know what to do. luckily and obviously nothing happened.
So why I am I writing this? I would like to know a few things:
#1- what do you do when you are driving in the middle of nowhere?
#2- signs of a Tornado before one hits.
#3- SOMEONE smack or talk some sense into me, and tell me I am worrying for Nothing.

Now, don't get me started on Earthquakes, floods, and sink holes............... that's a whole new can of worms.

3 comments:

mom said...

hahaha....You are so funny the way you write. Hmm... I don't know what to do if we're away from everyone on the middle of a highway when there's a tornado in the area. Let me know if you get any answers about that. I'm mainly commenting just because you make me laugh the funny way you write. Love ya, mom

Anonymous said...

So sorry you had to take after Grandpa Don here. I am just the opposite. I don't worry unless it's absolutely necessary. I hope you can find a way to calm yourself, but I know how hard it is. (years experience). One great plus, is that the odds of any of that stuff happening is like 1000's to 1. That to me is enough to keep me calm.

Heidi said...

You sound like Terence!!

My fears pretty much center on closed in spaces (like elevators) and phones. Nothing rational about either. At least it makes sense to be afraid of tornadoes and earthquakes! :)